Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Le Gamin Cafe (536 East 5th St.)

I've been going to Le Gamin off & on for quite some time as it's one of the few really good lunch spots in my 'hood. The decor is French Bistro & ever since they took over the building next door to expand the dining & kitchen areas, dining there has been much more comfortable.

I really love the coffee at Le Gamin, it is consistently among the strongest I've ever had which is perfect for waking up after a heavy night out on the town.

Today, I went with my brother Sous Chef Stef. Le Gamin specializes in Crepes (both sweet & savory), so I went for old faithful; the Coq au Vin Crepe. Wrapped in a delicate crepe, the Coq au Vin is deliciously rich & flavorful accompanied by seasoned rice.

Stefan went for the Grilled New York Shell Steak with fries, a salad & grilled endive. I tasted his dish & there was really nothing exceptional about it, not to say that it wasn't good, just your standard steak.


My only real problem with the place is the long wait to get food. We were lucky today as it wasn't that busy which is why I normally only go for weekday lunch. Dinner or weekend brunch services can lead to a frustratingly long wait for your food. Are they perfectionists back there, or just understaffed? I still Like Le Gamin & suggest you check it out.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin