Monday, June 15, 2009

Recipe: Warm Potato & Chicken Salad


Sort of like Teddy's Fridge With Cupboard Sauce situation, I was sitting around today hungry & not wanting to leave the house as it looked like it was going to rain. I looked through what I had lying around & with suggestions from my Dad, came up with this great salad.

Basically, I filled up a small pot with water, added 2 chicken thighs (skin on) & some crushed (just with the side of my knife) cloves of garlic. Then came the fun part; I didn't have much in the way of fresh herbs, so I just opened my pantry & let my hands fly along the spice shelf. Salt & Pepper (obviously), garlic powder, oregano, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, plus some other stuff that's been gathering dust in there. I turned the heat up & let my two little babies simmer away (round about 40 minutes, give or take).

I had a smaller pot in which I boiled 4 red bliss potatoes cut mouth sized & skin on. When my potatoes were nearly done, I took the chicken out of the broth/stock & began work on the dressing; olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, the juice of half a lemon & mustard (both regular & grain). I'm glad I only added half a lemon as it was a bit tart. I ended up putting in just a dollop of honey to smooth it out.

The chicken was shredded roughly & put into a mixing bowl with the potatoes & some parsley. On went the dressing & some coarsely ground pepper. Mix & plate! I really enjoyed the salad, but I have a few things I'd love to add/change. It really could have used some red onion & secondly, I wish I added more chicken. The meat to starch ratio was a bit lopsided. There are infinite variations for this basic salad. Such as adding slow roasted grape tomatoes which I have bottled.

There's also a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! You're left with all of the liquid that you boiled the chicken in which by now is delicious & rich. I haven't strained it as yet because I don't know what I'll use it for.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin