Monday, December 18, 2006

Meat On A Stick!

To the untrained eye, it would seem that us Thursday Club lads have an unhealthy fixation with meat & to be quite honest I totally agree!

My local bar/mental health facility, 7B (108 Avuenue B; a.k.a. Vazac's, The Horseshoe, etc...) had their 2006 Xmas party yesterday & all of the regulars brought some nibbles. I hooked up some chicken & rock shrimp skewers which came out surprisingly well.

I marinated both the chicken & rock shrimp overnight in your typical seasonings; seasoning salt, pepper & onion & garlic salts. The chicken breast got a 30 minute dunking in lemon & salt before I gave them a right thrashing with a lead pipe. I heated my pan to the point where the oil was smoking hot & added the chicken. I seared those suckers pretty well & it took me 2 or 3 batches till the 3lbs of chicken was well & cooked.

I totally forgot to open my windows & by the end, it looked like there was a slow fog rolling through my living room. I half expected to hear the low rumbling of a tug boat's horn or see the Hound of the Baskervilles sniffing at my garbage can.




I melted half a stick of butter & added the rock shrimp with garlic & ginger. I was shocked by how much water the shrimp gave off - but in the end, they were very tender.

The skewering process took a lot longer than expected. I let the chicken cool & put them on 6" skewers. The same went for the rock shrimp.

I made 2 dipping sauces; A 'Dijon-aise' & a Thai peanut sauce. The Dijon-aise was just Dijon mustard, mayo, salt & pepper & a bit of extra virgin. It holds a special place in my heart as when I was growing up, if there was ever any steak or roast lying around the day after a meal, my Dad would fix me a plate of cold cuts with this very sauce.

It took me a while to figure out how I was going to transport the food without messing them up, but I managed to do it in style. I'm guessing that the skewers were a success as they didn't last but 20 minutes or so...
Blog Widget by LinkWithin