Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Picking Pickled Peppers.....and Carrots.

A bunch of carrots and jalapenos staring me in the face. They've been sitting in the fridge, waiting to be called up for a soup, braise or saute....what to do with them? I thought I'd try something different this time. Being a complete rookie to the pickling game, I had to find a simple recipe that utilized the meager contents of my pantry. Lazy, yet resourceful. After scouring the Internets, I was able to combine a few different recipes to fit my needs.

Here is what I did...

1 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
3 large whole jalapenos, sliced down the side to allow the pickling liquid in
4 shallots, peeled, but kept whole
3 cloves of garlic, lightly crushed



All of the veg was tossed snugly into the bottom of a container. I used a 4 cup, unbreakable plastic jug with a lock-down lid ($10 at Williams-Sonoma).

The pickling liquid contained:

1 1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 cup vinegar (I used regular white vinegar, but cider or red wine could be used to add a different flavor)
1/4 cup of sugar
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp allspice seeds
4 tiny bay leaves (or 2 large)



All of these ingredients were brought to a boil in a medium saucepan and then simmered for 3 minutes. Pour the liquid over the veg and let cool. Snap down the lid and set aside.



I've read that they should be ready to eat in 3-4 days, but i'm going to let these puppies sit for much longer. Most likely 2-3 weeks before prying open the lid and snacking away.......if I can hold out that long.

2 comments:

Jason said...

You see this weeks At Home With Jamie Oliver? He was pickling as well.

Unknown said...

The pickles have been tasted (3 weeks after the lid was snapped shut) and they all turned out great. I wish the carrots had a bit more crunch, but I think using less than fresh carrots had something to do with it. Live and learn I guess.....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin